Junior Software Developer - Python at Sanger Institute (Hinxton, UK)
Location: Hinxton, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-06-18 05:00:54
We are recruiting for a couple of Junior Software Developers for the Enabling Platforms Team, the core software development team in the Tree of Life Programme at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
About Us/the Role:
The Tree of Life Programme at the Sanger Institute was established to develop and deliver platforms that will transform our understanding of the natural world through high-volume and high-quality biodiversity genomics. Working in collaboration with partners worldwide, Tree of Life aims to lead the way in both quality and quantity of new genome sequencing, and in the timely and effective analysis of these data.
The Enabling Platforms core software team is currently building and maintaining various bespoke software solutions to support all projects in ToL. The two largest projects currently supported are the Darwin Tree of Life (DToL) and Aquatics Symbiosis Genomics (ASG) projects, which together aim to sequence over 73,000 species.
We develop in an agile way using CI/CD, testing, and deployment. We currently engage a larger external development consultancy to quickly scale our software solutions to meet the growing demands of the ToL Programme
The roles are initially to develop your skills to cover front-end and/or full stack development and offer further career progression as the team grows.
- A Degree in Computer Science, IT or equivalent
- A sound understanding of software lifecycle delivery and development methods
- Knowledge and experience with modern software development practices, including version control, continuous integration, and workflow management tools such as GitLab etc.
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Ability to work within a goal orientated team environment
- Ability to work with stakeholders external to the development team
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise, manage own workload, and deliver agreed activities consistently on time
- Ability to understand issues within a code base and take guidance from Senior Developers to assist in the resolution
- Desire to learn and progress in the field of Software Engineering
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Please apply with your CV and Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role.
In your application, we ask that you provide us with the following points in your covering letter;-
- What you find interesting about Sanger and the role and why you are applying for a Junior Developer position
- Any projects outside of University you have been involved in.
- Any work experience you have undertaken that would be relevant and could relate to becoming a software developer.
We will only consider applications that have included this.
Applications will be considered and reviewed on an on-going basis and therefore the post may be filled before the closing date