Library IT Operations Engineer at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ)
Location: Princeton, NJ
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-14 05:00:11
The Princeton University Library Information Technology, Imaging, and Metadata Services is recruiting an IT Operations Engineer to join our IT Operations and Desktop Support Team. As a member of this team, you will partner with Library leaders, campus technology specialists, and commercial solution providers to support staff and patron computing needs.
In this role, you will combine analytical ability, technical skills, customer service, and creative thinking to provide technical support and automation solutions for Library applications. You will collaborate with colleagues across the organization and disciplinary boundaries to collect requirements, evaluate technologies, and recommend solutions regarding hardware including servers, storage, and security infrastructure. Using monitoring and data trends, you will improve performance and access while applying a sound knowledge of security practices. You will plan the transition of legacy systems to modern replacements and stay ahead of industry developments.
This is a full-time, permanent position which reports to the Library IT Operation Manager. Perks include training opportunities and HR benefits. Teleworking arrangements may be considered.
The Princeton University Library is one of the world's leading research libraries, serving a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,700 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Holdings include more than 7 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. See: http://library.princeton.edu/
The Library employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, nine specialized branches, and three storage facilities.
- Maintain production applications and their corresponding test/staging environments located both in our on-premise VMware environment and cloud services. Stay informed of new security packages, configurations, and best practices.
- Collaborate with other IT staff regarding procedures for applying security updates. Test updates and verify successful operation with Library hardware, services, and applications. Resolve issues with security updates. Some work may take place during nights/weekends because of planned or unplanned outages.
- Development of automated procedures to help maintain existing infrastructure and the creation and deployment of new, secure virtual systems. Deploy Library applications on these systems. Train peers and colleagues to help share in the maintenance of application deployment routines.
- Participate in architectural decisions about the library's systems and integration of digital services. Share responsibility for physical and virtual machines including Windows and Linux OS, storage, database clusters/instances, load balancers, firewalls, and monitoring infrastructure. Analyze logs and troubleshoot services based on this data. Take ownership of requests and issues from the library IT ticket queue.
- Document library IT operational systems, storage, and infrastructure to be used by library IT personal. Share in the creation of post mortem reports following unanticipated service outages.
- Maintain an active professional presence in the library IT community through presenting on Princeton's work, participating in professional organizations, attending and hosting meetings and conferences, and ensuring their own knowledge is up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in the IT profession.
- 7 or more years experience as a Systems Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Cloud Engineer, or a combination
- Focus on collaboration, security, and automation
- Able to share responsibility for off-hours service outages
- Customer service oriented
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW