Senior Software Engineer at Achievement Network (Boston, MA)
Location: Boston, MA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-05-14 05:00:11
Senior Software Engineer
Location: Flexible within the United States / Remote
Position is available: Immediately
THE OPPORTUNITYAre you looking for an opportunity that fulfills your passion for developing software and advances educational and racial equity? Are you excited about applying your engineering skills to have a positive impact on the lives of underserved students across the United States? Are you hoping to work with a team that truly prioritizes learning, collaboration, and work-life balance?
Achievement Network (ANet) is a non-profit dedicated to advancing equity, and often named by The NonProfit Times as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For.
We are seeking multiple full-time Senior Software Engineers to help our Engineering Team build products that support Achievement Network's (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be inspired by technical challenges, motivated to apply modern development technologies and best practices to deliver high-quality software systems, and committed to participating fully in our organizational effort to combat systemic racism by pushing ourselves along the anti-racism spectrum.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Play a key role as an individual contributor in designing and implementing sustainable code for substantial features and/or sections of code
- Implement ANet's next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
- Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
- Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
- Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
- Mentor and support the development of junior developers as appropriate
- Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features
- Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
- You are an exceptional individual contributor who prefers coding and has recent hands-on experience designing, implementing, delivering, and maintaining high quality web applications using
- You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the needs of internal and external users.
- You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture and value process that creates consistent, sustainable solutions across applications and sub-teams.
- You are flexible and humble. You enjoy learning about new ways of doing things, and know how to adjust solutions to maximize the effectiveness of the entire team.
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values.
- 4+ years of software development experience, including at least one year of experience in a high-scale enterprise environment
- Experience on a mid-sized team where coordination and team review of best practices and pattern reuse is required.
- Experience with AWS features and how to manage them responsibly
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree