Senior Mobile Engineers (Native iOS and/or Android) at Radical I/O Technology Inc. (Vancouver, BC, Canada) (allows remote)
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-27 05:00:21
Hiya! Were Radical I/O, a people-first enterprise software development consultancy and lab that develops technology with purpose. We work with cities and organizations to develop meaningful, data-driven solutions that provide people with easy access to information, when and where they need it.
We're on the lookout for Senior Mobile Engineers (Native iOS and/or Android) with experience developing in Swift and/or Java. You will be building a mobile app UI with authentication that presents data from REST services, uses a number of iOS APIs and/or Android APIs, and is distributed to thousands of users within Canada.
You should have end-to-end experience in building large mobile apps that are connected to microservices APIs. You've set up your own developer environments and keys, and know your way around the platform app stores and deployments. You are a technical problem-solver, but you are also skilled at building functional and delightful mobile UIs. You are comfortable working with a high-level of independence, quality, and professionalism. As a senior member of the team, you are able to get advanced work done quickly, and are there for your teammates when they need help. You also ensure that your efforts are in sync with those being carried out by your peers working on the other platform.
We are hiring 3-4 engineers for a 6 months+ contract to start in June and/or July. While we will be hiring 1-2 iOS engineers along with another 1-2 Android engineers, please do highlight in your summary and resume If you are equally skilled in both platforms. You will be working remotely from within Canada, and maximum working hours per week are 35-45 (40 on average). We will be shortlisting candidates within the next 1-2 weeks, with most phone screens and interviews taking place fairly quickly before the end of April, and further interviews taking place in May if needed.
We will be using the following in our project, so please highlight any relevant experience you have in any of these:
- iOS-specific: Swift, UIKit, InterfaceBuilder, SwiftUI, MapKit & Core Location, FaceID & TouchID, Keychain, Apple Wallet/PassKit, Gamecenter.
- Android-specific: Java primarily and some Kotlin, UI Layouts, Gradle, AndroidX, Maps, Geolocation, Google Pay pass, Biometric Prompt and Fingerprint.
- Integrating functionality across mobile apps, web views, and the browser, while maintaining user sessions.
- Adhering to iOS and/or Android design guidelines.
- Adding Firebase and making it run well (Push notifications, Analytics, more).
- Using REST APIs, including a thorough understanding of platform networking, and optimization.
- Working with OAuth2/Openid.
- Platform cryptography for security, file encryption, and TLS cipher hardening.
- Data and file management, including in-app databases, file-system handling, and device storage.
- Mobile build automation and testing using Jenkins, Fastlane, and Firebase.
We also usually look for people who:
- Have 5+ years of software development experience.
- Possess a university degree in computer science, engineering or related field,- or - a combination of experience and relevant certificates/learning/courses.
- Write clean code, have written unit tests, and adhere to effective software design principles.
- Are equally comfortable building user interfaces as debugging network code or multi-threaded programming.
- Choose Git repos as their version control of choice.
- Have worked within agile processes like Scrum or Kanban, and used tools like JIRA or similar.
- Are comfortable working professionally with clients in varying industries.
- Are problem-solvers, comfortable with ambiguity and unknowns, and love continuously learning.
- Communicate and collaborate well and often.
Even if we don't contact you for an interview right away, we often have projects start fairly quickly with new clients, so we will always look through our applicant database first. We'd also love to keep a small roster of people we trust and who we can easily reach out to during these times.
THE OTHER STUFF
This is a remote, work-from-home opportunity, and there is the possibility for the role to be extended or other projects to follow after this one. We prefer to hire folks from the Greater Vancouver Area, then BC and AB in general so we can communicate more in real-time. However, we will also consider other senior engineers from within Canada based on your availability, flexibility to work with overlapping PST, and your skillset.
As this is a contract, we generally hire self-employed or incorporated people who are comfortable with invoicing for their work. However, for those who are not yet set up in this way, and are employees perhaps looking for temporary roles during this unprecedented pandemic time period, we are also able to put the successful candidate on our payroll as a limited-term, hourly employee. When applying, please select which situation applies to you (we are equally open to either situation).
Please note that due to our work with Canadian government (and related clients) and their data and privacy restrictions, we can only hire people who currently live in Canada and are authorized to work full-time in Canada for any employer, including engineers who are in Canada on valid working holiday visas and post-graduate work permits.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.