Principal Frontend Engineer (m/f/d) at smava GmbH (Berlin, Germany)
Location: Berlin, Germany
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:02:17
Are you up for a successful grown-up start-up headquartered in Berlin-Friedrichshain?
smava is one of the biggest fintech employers and has received several awards, including the prize for Top Employer 2020 and for being one of the 50 most promising start-ups in Europe. Become part of the smava story now and let us grow together! We are smava – the online credit comparison. We make loans transparent, fair and cheap!
Principal Frontend Engineer (m/f/d)
Technology is a big deal at smava. Our organization understands, nurtures and emphasizes the role of technology as one of the core drivers of the overall product success.
We are looking for a Principal Frontend Engineer (m/f/d) capable of understanding and making technical decisions in the complex technical realm.
- You will be an individual contributor in an architecture team, who provides technical leadership and decision making through knowledge, experience and leading by example first in your own, then across other business domains.
- You are accountable that stakeholders, product and business owners have support for scoping and road mapping of their initiatives.
- You are accountable that technical impediments are identified, scoped and aligned with the organization to be removed.
- You are accountable that technical decisions are made in alignment with engineering and product principles.
- You are accountable to support engineering leads and talent acquisition with 360° feedback for individual contributors as well as the hiring process for talent acquisition.
- You will lead the implementation of technical and infrastructure initiatives to support architecture decisions. Communicate the vision to the engineering team. Overlook and review the work of the team to ensure that the architecture decisions are being executed and the team is following coding standards and architecture guidelines.
- You support Staff Engineers and less senior Engineers in the execution of their responsibilities and accountabilities with mentoring, coaching and training, but also with hands-on support such as pair- or mob-programming.
- You support the product owners, with grooming, task breakdowns and related processes and act as a go-to person for stakeholders.
- You drive decisions that are aligned with other teams and which fulfil product and engineering requirements.
- You take responsibility for engineering initiatives of medium to large scope and contribute to innovation.
- Support the creation of a macro architecture and you own the design and architecture processes.
- You play an active role in governing architectural dimensions and avoidance of degradation in our system of systems using fitness functions.
- You inculcate a culture of innovation and high quality in teams.
- You gently enforce sound development practices and ensure the quality delivery of enterprise solutions.
- You participate in the development and project life-cycle from pitch/prototyping through definition and design to build, integration, QA and delivery.
- You work closely with Project Managers, Scrum Master, Onsite Coordinators and UX teams.
- And last, but not least, you play an active role in the talent acquisition process and as an organizer or contributor of meetups or being speaker at conferences you contribute to the employer branding of smava.
Specific tasks for front end Principal:
- You drive decisions in the front end architecture that are aligned with product development teams and which fulfil product and engineering requirements.
- You drive front end foundation group that ratify and work towards improvements in the front end architecture of smava.
- Provide support for front end topics meetups and present technical improvements to front end engineers.
- Provide proof of concepts and research projects for front end technologies and products.
- Provide training on front end technology topics for front end engineers.
- Experience: 15+ years of experience, of Senior Engineer, Principal Engineer, or even CTO at a start-up. Deep technical expert in their area and has a drive and vision for where technology should be going in the future.
- Champion of new technologies and the modernization of legacy systems. You should be able to win the hearts and minds of senior leadership in the company and also motivate and drive their colleagues in Engineering.
- An expert, potentially at a global level, in your area.
- Extensive experience in designing, building and suggesting architecture that will grow the company in the future. Track record of leading the design and implementation of high risk or mission-critical projects/products, particularly those that require the application or invention of new technology or techniques.
- Experience in line management responsibilities, including leading leaders, but also experience in guiding groups of professionals.
- A role model for software engineers.
- A solid individual contributor able to sustain a discussion without conflict and even solve conflicts along the way at all levels.
- A proactive and goal-oriented driven person.
- Fluent spoken and written English (German is a plus)
- Passion about architecture and software development at scale
- Solution driven
- Thinking reusable
- Caring about writing proper architecture
- Challenging others and open to be challenged (open-minded)
- Able to communicate effectively to all levels of abstraction (Code Level to C-Level)
- Left shift approach on security, testing and agile
Our Tech Stack:
- Java, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud Netflix
- Messaging JMS / AMQP / Kafka
- PostgreSQL, Redis
- Docker, Docker Swarm
What we offer:
- Employer-funded pension
- Up to 10 Child-Sickness-Days per year
- Onboarding support (e.g. assistance visa application/work permit, German health insurance, accommodation)
- Flexible working hours
- Subsidies to lunch (smunch.co), to public transport ticket (VBB Umweltkarte) and to your gym (e.g. John Reed, McFit, Superfit)
- Free inhouse German course on different levels: beginners to advanced
- Product Demos: Once a week during lunch, the Product and Engineering Teams demonstrate newly features or product changes (digital)
- Special Events (e.g. Hackathons, digital Pub-Quiz, virtual team events)
- Open communication, flat hierarchy and fast execution
- Smart colleagues from all around the world (40 nationalities)
- A well-established online company with start-up flair
- A modern and centrally located office in Berlin-Friedrichshain on 4 floors with rooftop terrace, treehouses, couches, PS4 and table tennis for work, retreat and exchange
Due to the Corona situation:
You can decide whether you want to work from home or at the office (until further notice you can decide on a daily basis).