Site Reliability / Devops Engineer at OVO Group (Bristol, UK)
Location: Bristol, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2020-02-27 05:00:56
The OVO Group’s mission is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. We’re a collection of companies with a single vision: to power human progress with clean affordable energy for everyone.
The climate crisis is humanity's greatest challenge and the OVO Group organisations are all working together to lower our collective carbon emissions to zero. Would you be interested in joining us to help achieve this?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You will be joining the Engineering Services team whose mission is to ensure OVO’s software engineering teams have the right conditions to build and operate high-performance, reliable, secure & scalable systems. You’ll provide coaching, implementation and guidance on improvements to infrastructure and observability across teams at OVO.
This is a varied role where you’ll be exposed to the full technology stack and will work across projects spanning deployment & infrastructure automation, SRE, performance engineering, release engineering and monitoring distributed systems, all with close collaboration with engineering teams.
The Engineering Services team creates software tools, infrastructure and automation that are reusable across many software teams while being reliable for the future. This enables us to scale the freedom and autonomy OVO’s engineering culture is built upon.
Check out our Tech Blog to find out more about our DevOps culture: https://tech.ovoenergy.com/production-engineering-enhancing-our-tech-culture/Find out what the Engineering Services team have been working on: https://tech.ovoenergy.com/tag/devops/
What will I be doing?
- You’ll be engineering tools that improve production & deployment capabilities for all teams; solutions that provide scalable foundations to building high-performing services
- Work on defined projects, directly with teams, that aim to give their operations a boost, such as improving continuous delivery pipelines with pipelines and infrastructure as code
- Align with the rest of Engineering Services in driving operational excellence & best practices around service performance, deployment, monitoring and availability
Is this the job for me?
We are looking for excellent software engineers and whilst experience is important, ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude; we see Site Reliability Engineering as a mindset.
It would be excellent if you have...
- A strong background in software engineering; we don’t mind what language! (Python, Scala, Clojure, Java etc.)
- Extensive system design experience
- Knowledge in Site Reliability Engineering
- Interest in distributed systems and data streaming architecture
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS / GCP)
- CD/CI tooling & continuous delivery best practices
- Network & Security knowledge
- Knowledge/interest in Kubernetes and container orchestration
- Experience in scripting languages and automation practices
- Demonstrable experience in agile and XP environments
- Ability to articulate improvements within software engineering for operational benefit
- An inquisitive and curious approach, with confidence to tackle difficult problems
- Rapid adoptee of merit-proven new approaches & technologies
- Problem solver / structured thinker
- Always happy to help and a natural sharer of knowledge
Want to check out more?
Working in Tech at OVO Energy
See how we work on our blog and our Tech Blog
OVO tech github: https://github.com/ovotech
OVO believes in fueling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to always find a better way and challenge the status quo.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.